What is a Senior Research Project?

At BASIS Tucson, seniors have the chance to propose an independent research project that takes place off campus during the last trimester of the year. The seniors whose proposals are accepted write their own syllabi and then head off into the world, to a site where they conduct their research while interning with a professional in the field. Those of us stuck on campus follow their adventures on this blog. Now that the projects are over, we are all excited to attend their presentations. The schedule is as follows:

Wednesday, May 11, 6-8 PM
at the U of A Poetry Center (environmentalism projects)
Sierra Cordova, Nicole Rapatan, Zobella Vinik and Dany Joumaa (see titles of projects, below)

Saturday, May 14, 10-12 AM
at The Loft Cinema (arts projects)
Clarice Bales, Samone Isom, Josh Waterman and Angelynn Khoo (see titles of projects, below)

Monday, May 16, 6-8 PM
at BioSciences West, Rm. 310, U of A ( U of A projects)
Joseph Tang, Jayanth Ganesan, Andrew Graham and Gabriel Carranza (see titles of projects, below)

Tuesday, May 17, 6-8 PM
at U of A McGuire Center for Entrepreneurship, Blg. MCLND, rm. 207 (travel abroad projects)
Clover Powell, Greg Spell, Agustin Temporini and Margarita Sadova.

We'd love to see you there!



The BASIS Tucson Class of 2011 Senior Research Project bloggers (with the titles of their projects) are:



Clarice Bales: "Narrative and Film"



Sierra Cordova: "The Intent and Application of Environmental Policy"



Clover Powell: "The Artistic Interpretation of the Biological Sciences"



Greg Spell: "Micro-venturing in Guatemala"



Agustin Temporini: "A Study of the Role of the Press in 1960's/70's Argentina"



Gabriel Carranza: "Analysis and Research on Drugs associated with Torsades de Pointes"



Dany Joumaa: "Innovations in Display Technology: Synthesis of Organic Luminescent Materials Compounds"



Joseph Tang: "The Creation and Project of 3D Holograms"



Jayanth Ganesan: "Research of Game Thoeretic Models in relation to Non-Market Games"



Andrew Graham: "The Malaria-Resistant Mosquito"



Samone Isom: "Art and Artist: in peril of Devaluation?"



Angelynn Khoo: "Mousa, Mouseion, Museum: MOCA Tucson"



Nicole Rapatan: "Sustainable Architecture and Design in Modern Times"



Margarita Sadova: "Pulmonology at St. Joseph's Hospital"



Josh Waterman: "The Fiery Crossroads of Artistic Value and Financial Success in the Independent Film Industry"



Zobella Vinik: "Environmental Psychology with the Drachman Institute"







Enjoy the Blog!



















Monday, February 21, 2011

Week 2 with Dr. Zheng

Things thus far have been quite interesting with Dr. Zheng. Since about the first week of the internship period, Dr Zheng and I have been pushing the U of A to provide me with a "NetID," which is prerequisite to attaining lab training and safety certification. It wasn't until about Friday last week that I finally received my UA ID, and just this weekend I've worked hard to complete the online safety training course.

Other than that bureaucratic snafu, that isn't to say I've had nothing to do in the interim. Last week I had the opportunity to meet with Dr. Renee Corrales, who is a computational chemist. I was surprised by how much I understood when he talked about the computer infrastructure responsible for running chemistry calculations at the UA. It was an even bigger surprise to hear that I would be working with a time-dependent version of Schrodinger's equation to calculate electron densities in complex molecules. Of course, the equations are terribly cumbersome and have already been worked out by others, but perhaps when Dr. Corrales mentioned it, he didn't expect me to know what he was talking about. Well, thanks to Mr Lee and BASIS, I did.

Today is the day I should be beginning my lab work under Dr. Zheng. As I've mentioned in my previous post, it will be all about deciphering esoteric chemistry recipes and putting together organic compounds. Having gone over some chemistry manuals and recipes already, I'm really reminded of how fun chemistry was in 9th and 10th grade. It looks like that Chemistry here is mostly the same as Chemistry at BASIS, except there are tons of more math (ie fun) and memorizing (ie not so fun). Safety is also quite a large concern here at the UA labs, and there are extensive protocols to do with everything from the moment one begins an experiment to the moment one leaves the laboratory. I wasn't terribly happy with the redundancy of the safety test, but such is the situation.

By Thursday, I should have figured out how to get a copy of Fedora 11 to dual-boot on my quad-core studio computer, which, as I am told, is the most optimum platform for launching distributed calculations at the UA. I will have my second meeting with Dr. Corrales on Thursday. And by the end of the week, I should have some legitimate lab work done with Dr. Zheng and a truer sense of what my life is going to look like for the next 9 weeks.

In the interests of providing a comprehensive account of what my life away from BASIS is like thus far, I can't help but mention that I've had fantastic opportunities to meet people at the Rialto and continue work at Arizona University Recordings. Because I'm very often at the UA now, I have been given the opportunity to meet Jim Blackwood, the audio engineer most famously responsible for engineering KXCI and mixing the band Iron & Wine. Depending on my luck, he may be willing to pick me up as an intern during my off-hours from the lab and I may be able to observe him/get him coffee. On the other hand, I haven't really been partying/doing anything the teenager is required to do upon emancipation. It has all been hard work at the Rialto, at Arizona University Recoridngs, and Dr. Zheng. And, so far, I'm completely happy with that.

No comments: