What is a Senior Research Project?

At BASIS Tucson, seniors have the chance to propose an independent research project that takes place off campus during the last trimester of the year. The seniors whose proposals are accepted write their own syllabi and then head off into the world, to a site where they conduct their research while interning with a professional in the field. Those of us stuck on campus follow their adventures on this blog. Now that the projects are over, we are all excited to attend their presentations. The schedule is as follows:

Wednesday, May 11, 6-8 PM
at the U of A Poetry Center (environmentalism projects)
Sierra Cordova, Nicole Rapatan, Zobella Vinik and Dany Joumaa (see titles of projects, below)

Saturday, May 14, 10-12 AM
at The Loft Cinema (arts projects)
Clarice Bales, Samone Isom, Josh Waterman and Angelynn Khoo (see titles of projects, below)

Monday, May 16, 6-8 PM
at BioSciences West, Rm. 310, U of A ( U of A projects)
Joseph Tang, Jayanth Ganesan, Andrew Graham and Gabriel Carranza (see titles of projects, below)

Tuesday, May 17, 6-8 PM
at U of A McGuire Center for Entrepreneurship, Blg. MCLND, rm. 207 (travel abroad projects)
Clover Powell, Greg Spell, Agustin Temporini and Margarita Sadova.

We'd love to see you there!



The BASIS Tucson Class of 2011 Senior Research Project bloggers (with the titles of their projects) are:



Clarice Bales: "Narrative and Film"



Sierra Cordova: "The Intent and Application of Environmental Policy"



Clover Powell: "The Artistic Interpretation of the Biological Sciences"



Greg Spell: "Micro-venturing in Guatemala"



Agustin Temporini: "A Study of the Role of the Press in 1960's/70's Argentina"



Gabriel Carranza: "Analysis and Research on Drugs associated with Torsades de Pointes"



Dany Joumaa: "Innovations in Display Technology: Synthesis of Organic Luminescent Materials Compounds"



Joseph Tang: "The Creation and Project of 3D Holograms"



Jayanth Ganesan: "Research of Game Thoeretic Models in relation to Non-Market Games"



Andrew Graham: "The Malaria-Resistant Mosquito"



Samone Isom: "Art and Artist: in peril of Devaluation?"



Angelynn Khoo: "Mousa, Mouseion, Museum: MOCA Tucson"



Nicole Rapatan: "Sustainable Architecture and Design in Modern Times"



Margarita Sadova: "Pulmonology at St. Joseph's Hospital"



Josh Waterman: "The Fiery Crossroads of Artistic Value and Financial Success in the Independent Film Industry"



Zobella Vinik: "Environmental Psychology with the Drachman Institute"







Enjoy the Blog!



















Saturday, February 26, 2011

Weddings, editing, and organizing: Clarice's SRP

Last Sunday I did my first wedding, which was quite an experience... This time, I did more field work, filmed a lot of the wedding, and lugged a bunch of equipment around for Jacob. I learned more about the settings a camera should be on for film (which was explained to me and I learned as I filmed), how to improvise when weather conditions are terrible, and much more. I'm using a Panasonic gh2, which shoots in HD video, and is overall a very lovely camera.
On Monday I uploaded the videos onto a computer and then started editing them with Adobe Premiere, which is basically Photo Shop for videos. So, instead of writing, I could show everyone pictures/videos of what my project entails.
Jacob and I also took some audio recordings at the wedding and we were hoping to sync some of the audio with the video that we got, or make a slide show of photographs that the audio can coincide with. However, the majority of the audio was terrible because of the wind, and we won't be using 100% of it (if any at all). Contrary to that bad news, I finished compiling sections of the videos that I took at the wedding into a short, chronological video. I touched up the segments individually, but I not put any creative touch to the video yet. This coming Monday, Jacob and I are going to add some still photographs that he took at the wedding and include them in the short video. So, after that, I'll add some dissolves, experiment with Premiere more and hopefully the video will come out great!
I've also been learning more about the less exciting sides of a photography business. I organized bills and receipts for Jacob, wrapped photo albums for his clients, and did number crunching for him as well. (Actually, organizing was fun). I know that I'm just getting closer and closer to organizing his whole studio. Moving on now!
This past Friday I went with Eren McGinnis (my second intern) to a shoot for the Discovery Channel en Espanol. We filmed a quinceanera of a family that Eren knew well. The point of the filming that we did was to be apart of a larger documentary about how S.B. 1070 has effected the lives of Latinos in America. I did take some still pictures of the party, but I mainly helped with the personal appearance releases (as stated previously). Eren's partner, Ari, explained to me more about audio, which isn't a strong point of mine at all, and then about shooting conditions (i.e. lighting).
I am also going to be helping Eren out with managing her facebook page for "Precious Knowledge," and just spreading the news about her film. It's going to be showing at the Fox Theater towards the end of March (March 24th, I believe) and you guys should check out their facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/preciousknowledge/

Hopefully by Tuesday I'll post the video that I made and hopefully I'll get feedback from all of you guys. Oh, and just as a reminder, the Mexican film festival is next week!!!!!!! COME! http://tucsoncinemexico.org/

No comments: