What is a Senior Research Project?

At BASIS Tucson, seniors have the chance to propose an independent research project that takes place off campus during the last trimester of the year. The seniors whose proposals are accepted write their own syllabi and then head off into the world, to a site where they conduct their research while interning with a professional in the field. Those of us stuck on campus follow their adventures on this blog. Now that the projects are over, we are all excited to attend their presentations. The schedule is as follows:

Wednesday, May 11, 6-8 PM
at the U of A Poetry Center (environmentalism projects)
Sierra Cordova, Nicole Rapatan, Zobella Vinik and Dany Joumaa (see titles of projects, below)

Saturday, May 14, 10-12 AM
at The Loft Cinema (arts projects)
Clarice Bales, Samone Isom, Josh Waterman and Angelynn Khoo (see titles of projects, below)

Monday, May 16, 6-8 PM
at BioSciences West, Rm. 310, U of A ( U of A projects)
Joseph Tang, Jayanth Ganesan, Andrew Graham and Gabriel Carranza (see titles of projects, below)

Tuesday, May 17, 6-8 PM
at U of A McGuire Center for Entrepreneurship, Blg. MCLND, rm. 207 (travel abroad projects)
Clover Powell, Greg Spell, Agustin Temporini and Margarita Sadova.

We'd love to see you there!



The BASIS Tucson Class of 2011 Senior Research Project bloggers (with the titles of their projects) are:



Clarice Bales: "Narrative and Film"



Sierra Cordova: "The Intent and Application of Environmental Policy"



Clover Powell: "The Artistic Interpretation of the Biological Sciences"



Greg Spell: "Micro-venturing in Guatemala"



Agustin Temporini: "A Study of the Role of the Press in 1960's/70's Argentina"



Gabriel Carranza: "Analysis and Research on Drugs associated with Torsades de Pointes"



Dany Joumaa: "Innovations in Display Technology: Synthesis of Organic Luminescent Materials Compounds"



Joseph Tang: "The Creation and Project of 3D Holograms"



Jayanth Ganesan: "Research of Game Thoeretic Models in relation to Non-Market Games"



Andrew Graham: "The Malaria-Resistant Mosquito"



Samone Isom: "Art and Artist: in peril of Devaluation?"



Angelynn Khoo: "Mousa, Mouseion, Museum: MOCA Tucson"



Nicole Rapatan: "Sustainable Architecture and Design in Modern Times"



Margarita Sadova: "Pulmonology at St. Joseph's Hospital"



Josh Waterman: "The Fiery Crossroads of Artistic Value and Financial Success in the Independent Film Industry"



Zobella Vinik: "Environmental Psychology with the Drachman Institute"







Enjoy the Blog!



















Friday, February 18, 2011

Clarice's SRP

So, today was my first "official" day with Jacob. I went over to his studio (home) and just installed some software for him, told him I'd organize his office, tested out his new camera--which I'll be using for video, and edited wedding photographs with him.
Not much, but it was very cool. Basically, I'm going to be going with him on photography shoots for his weddings, and my first one is this coming Sunday, and just assist him in any way, sometimes film him at work so he can promote his business, and on my own, I'm going to experiment more with cameras, film and photography. If everything goes well, I'll continuously be working with him at his home and go on as many photo shoots as possible.

Also, probably none of you (minus, what, two people) know that I'm doing a second internship as well. This one isn't for school, but I am going to take what I learn from there and add it to my SRP. I'm following Eren McGinnis, a documentary filmmaker, who's been lately focusing on a lot of Latino issues here in Tucson. Right now, she has a film that is closed to being completed called "Precious Knowledge" and I'm just really going to help her on the facebook page and advertising. Then, Eren's helping in a Mexican Film Festival--called Tucson Cine Mexico--that's going on from March 2nd to the 6th, and I'm just going to be a volunteer at the festival, which, everyone who can, should come to. Here's the link for dates and locations: http://tucsoncinemexico.org/
Moreover, I'll be helping Eren on some filming that she's going to be doing on some recent projects. Later today (Friday), I'm going with her and just helping and watching the filming. I'm not going to be doing anything on set, really, but just aiding with personal appearance releases.

So, I won't bore anyone any more, since that's really all I have to say. Maybe next time I'll have something more detailed an interesting, like all those science kids.

2 comments:

Samone Isom said...

Oh, so he's Jacob now? Aren't you climbing up the food chain? Should I call you Ms. Bales?

Clarice said...

Yes, you should Samone.
Actually, he told me to, so we don't look ridiculous at a wedding.