What is a Senior Research Project?

At BASIS Tucson, seniors have the chance to propose an independent research project that takes place off campus during the last trimester of the year. The seniors whose proposals are accepted write their own syllabi and then head off into the world, to a site where they conduct their research while interning with a professional in the field. Those of us stuck on campus follow their adventures on this blog. Now that the projects are over, we are all excited to attend their presentations. The schedule is as follows:

Wednesday, May 11, 6-8 PM
at the U of A Poetry Center (environmentalism projects)
Sierra Cordova, Nicole Rapatan, Zobella Vinik and Dany Joumaa (see titles of projects, below)

Saturday, May 14, 10-12 AM
at The Loft Cinema (arts projects)
Clarice Bales, Samone Isom, Josh Waterman and Angelynn Khoo (see titles of projects, below)

Monday, May 16, 6-8 PM
at BioSciences West, Rm. 310, U of A ( U of A projects)
Joseph Tang, Jayanth Ganesan, Andrew Graham and Gabriel Carranza (see titles of projects, below)

Tuesday, May 17, 6-8 PM
at U of A McGuire Center for Entrepreneurship, Blg. MCLND, rm. 207 (travel abroad projects)
Clover Powell, Greg Spell, Agustin Temporini and Margarita Sadova.

We'd love to see you there!



The BASIS Tucson Class of 2011 Senior Research Project bloggers (with the titles of their projects) are:



Clarice Bales: "Narrative and Film"



Sierra Cordova: "The Intent and Application of Environmental Policy"



Clover Powell: "The Artistic Interpretation of the Biological Sciences"



Greg Spell: "Micro-venturing in Guatemala"



Agustin Temporini: "A Study of the Role of the Press in 1960's/70's Argentina"



Gabriel Carranza: "Analysis and Research on Drugs associated with Torsades de Pointes"



Dany Joumaa: "Innovations in Display Technology: Synthesis of Organic Luminescent Materials Compounds"



Joseph Tang: "The Creation and Project of 3D Holograms"



Jayanth Ganesan: "Research of Game Thoeretic Models in relation to Non-Market Games"



Andrew Graham: "The Malaria-Resistant Mosquito"



Samone Isom: "Art and Artist: in peril of Devaluation?"



Angelynn Khoo: "Mousa, Mouseion, Museum: MOCA Tucson"



Nicole Rapatan: "Sustainable Architecture and Design in Modern Times"



Margarita Sadova: "Pulmonology at St. Joseph's Hospital"



Josh Waterman: "The Fiery Crossroads of Artistic Value and Financial Success in the Independent Film Industry"



Zobella Vinik: "Environmental Psychology with the Drachman Institute"







Enjoy the Blog!



















Wednesday, February 23, 2011

There was a section in the kitchen shelf entirely for tea. /Angelynn.

Originally, I didn't think I would be writing one day after another. I had planned to update this SRP blog twice a week or so, but I thought of how drastic is the change from my first day to my second in MOCA.. and I realise there's no way I can wait until Saturday to write about the fill I had today.

I had my first curating experience. Immediately after I entered the building, Anne-Marie asked what I thought about physical museum work, something off the desk. "I'm down with it!" was my reply. She warned me that I'll have a day of bureaucratic and physical museum work; I had no objections whatsoever. I like a good workout. In fact, I welcome it.

Moments later, I was introduced to Aili Schmeltz and Jocko Weyland, both artists whom I will be working with to curate her exhibition (that will open to the public by next Saturday). We went on a hunt for scissors so that we may start unwrapping her art piecees' parts. All the parts came in to MOCA from Los Angeles around two in the morning of Wednesday. During this unpackaging process, four other colleagues joined: Marcie (another intern), Christian (a volunteer), Candace (assistant curator), and Ashley (another intern). I was the newbie, haha.

For the rest of the day, we ran back and forth around the building, cleaning the room of all furniture and pre-existing miscellaneous items. Then once all the art pieces were unwrapped, we assembled what soon became looming styrofoam giants. Some of the parts didn't fit together perfectly, and we had to try and find ways to remedy the gaps. After toiling over "Does it fit?"s, we had to decided what goes where. This was extremely important because not only did we have to keep in mind the flow of the audience's path, but as well as the exhibition's first impression (when you step into the museum and take the first sweep into the exhibit's room), the harmony of everything and their positions, the noise of the atmosphere around each object, etc. Frankly, I didn't think it would be as complex as it was. But it was complex in all the right ways, as the results yielded great satisfaction! Not only was it pleasing to the eye and mind, it was enlightening, with all the new information absorbed. After the exhibition was set, I removed more unwanted things from the previous Gala in the hall, such as floaty balls, large styrofoam boards, and plastic wraps.

By the time I finished the tidy-up, it was time for my first Art Now! session. Art Now! is a series of lectures on a certain area of art. This series is about 1980s art, taught by a University of Arizona professor named Paul (I wasn't able to catch his last name, apologies). Before we begin, we can help ourselves to some healthy snacks, like carrots, broccolis, grape tomatoes, celery sticks, and pretzel sticks, and some wine. The lecture starts and finishes. Then after each lecture is a meaty discussion, followed by more snacks and wine. Today, Paul spoke about Postmodernism, Appropriation, and Signification. What is 'originality'? Is there such as a set notion of originality? If one took a picture of a picture of a picture (third generation), would it still be representing what the first generation's work represented? Would it signify the same thing? We talked about how postmodernism artists focused not on creating their art, but taking parts of things and assembling them together to give them a new meaning and signify a new notion. If one took a billboard advertisement and stripped the picture of it's advertisement text, is the remainder art? Is it original? What about the reference? Context is key; everything depends on context and juxtaposition. We talked about the so-called "nature" that was weaved by the culture to guard the female sex into this realm of the private and spiritual, and how this limited the women in every aspect. Women, the private and spiritual and impulsive and emotional. Men, the public, the physical, the rough, the steady. We talked about how artists believed that if one were to copy a work of art perfectly, then one could create the same essence of the original art piece. This was only a random sample of what was covered..

I was fascinated by the depth of his lecture and the heavy atmosphere of genuine curiousity and eagerness for art knowledge. This was the best part of my day. And then I said my thank-you's and goodbye's for the day.

Overall, today's activities were great learning experiences, from how to install an exhibition to how has mass media helped the art culture. The difference between yesterday's and today's agenda kept me on my toes and has fueled my excitement for my internship. I'm very fortunate to be working with such chill, passionate, and amazing people!

Oh yeah, and you've no idea how elated I was to find the tea section. They have Japanese tea. Good authentic Japanese tea. What's up with that? They know where it's at, that's what's up.
(Pardon my lazy language; it's two in the morning, and I am slacking and lacking.)

Until the next,
Axk.

No comments: