What is a Senior Research Project?

At BASIS Tucson, seniors have the chance to propose an independent research project that takes place off campus during the last trimester of the year. The seniors whose proposals are accepted write their own syllabi and then head off into the world, to a site where they conduct their research while interning with a professional in the field. Those of us stuck on campus follow their adventures on this blog. Now that the projects are over, we are all excited to attend their presentations. The schedule is as follows:

Wednesday, May 11, 6-8 PM
at the U of A Poetry Center (environmentalism projects)
Sierra Cordova, Nicole Rapatan, Zobella Vinik and Dany Joumaa (see titles of projects, below)

Saturday, May 14, 10-12 AM
at The Loft Cinema (arts projects)
Clarice Bales, Samone Isom, Josh Waterman and Angelynn Khoo (see titles of projects, below)

Monday, May 16, 6-8 PM
at BioSciences West, Rm. 310, U of A ( U of A projects)
Joseph Tang, Jayanth Ganesan, Andrew Graham and Gabriel Carranza (see titles of projects, below)

Tuesday, May 17, 6-8 PM
at U of A McGuire Center for Entrepreneurship, Blg. MCLND, rm. 207 (travel abroad projects)
Clover Powell, Greg Spell, Agustin Temporini and Margarita Sadova.

We'd love to see you there!



The BASIS Tucson Class of 2011 Senior Research Project bloggers (with the titles of their projects) are:



Clarice Bales: "Narrative and Film"



Sierra Cordova: "The Intent and Application of Environmental Policy"



Clover Powell: "The Artistic Interpretation of the Biological Sciences"



Greg Spell: "Micro-venturing in Guatemala"



Agustin Temporini: "A Study of the Role of the Press in 1960's/70's Argentina"



Gabriel Carranza: "Analysis and Research on Drugs associated with Torsades de Pointes"



Dany Joumaa: "Innovations in Display Technology: Synthesis of Organic Luminescent Materials Compounds"



Joseph Tang: "The Creation and Project of 3D Holograms"



Jayanth Ganesan: "Research of Game Thoeretic Models in relation to Non-Market Games"



Andrew Graham: "The Malaria-Resistant Mosquito"



Samone Isom: "Art and Artist: in peril of Devaluation?"



Angelynn Khoo: "Mousa, Mouseion, Museum: MOCA Tucson"



Nicole Rapatan: "Sustainable Architecture and Design in Modern Times"



Margarita Sadova: "Pulmonology at St. Joseph's Hospital"



Josh Waterman: "The Fiery Crossroads of Artistic Value and Financial Success in the Independent Film Industry"



Zobella Vinik: "Environmental Psychology with the Drachman Institute"







Enjoy the Blog!



















Sunday, February 20, 2011

Week 1 in the ARG

Greetings from Córdoba, Argentina! I arrived Tuesday at around 3:30 pm safe and sound and super tired. If you remember my last post, I left Tucson on Monday at 4:30 pm. That’s right, 23 hours of man, I hate trying to sleep while I sit. It’s just weird. Luckily I had with me an article entitled “The Tinpot and the Totalitarian: An Economic Theory of Dictatorship” to keep me busy. Thank you Mr. Waggoner! Other cool things that happened during my flights: I flew to Chile with the Chilean rugby team (not sure what is so cool about that), on that same flight I sat next to an elderly man from Argentina (he was really nice and funny and entertaining), and on the flight to Córdoba from Chile I flew over the Andes. They were covered in snow (keep in mind it’s summer down here in the southern hemisphere). On Wednesday I went straight to the newspaper with my grandfather. I met the woman in charge of the archives, the director of photography, and the editor in chief of what many have said is the New York Times of Argentina! I sat down with all three of them and told them a bit about what I was planning to do and they were all very excited. After that the editor in chief showed me around the newspaper, it was really awesome. Then I sat down with him and we talked for a good two hours about my project and the best ways of going about collecting information and organizing it, it was really great. After that I went home mega excited to get started right away. So I got home and got to work right away on my grandfather’s collection of articles from the 60’s and 70’s and 80’s. I quickly found out that his collection is massive. It really is an amazing sensation to rifle through yellowed pages of past realities. On Wednesday I just sat there absorbing it all, amazed. On Thursday I reread all the stuff I had read on Wednesday with a digital recorder sitting next to me on the table and read aloud for three hours. I figured that recording it all would be much faster than taking notes on it and that I could easily translate it at home. Now I’m not so sure. There is such a huge volume of recordings now and it has only been a week. I guess that’s why we have a few months to get this done. On Friday I spent the day reading some books my grandfather has and going through his collection of articles again. I then came up with a really basic outline to help guide me through the incredible amount of information that I had at my disposal. I decided to break up my research into sections based on important events and to focus more specifically on the last five years of the dictatorship, from 1978 to 1983. I feel that this five-year period most accurately demonstrates and highlights the role of the press in the downfall of the dictatorship. On Saturday I sat down and watched a few documentaries that my grandfather has with footage from the time I am studying. They were really helpful in placing my research into not only a broader context within Argentina, but also placing it in a global context. Tomorrow I am going to watch some of the videos again with my trusty video camera and microphone and record some of the footage so I can have it for research and for my presentation. Today I did some more reading and had a big old arg style barbeque with all my family. Soooooo good. Anyway, tomorrow I am going to hit the archives again, I really can’t wait. It’s so exciting. I am also really excited for the interviews I will conduct this week. I have scheduled two this week, one on Wednesday and one on Thursday. I will be interviewing really important journalists who wrote during the 60’s and 70’s. One was the head of photography during that time and the other was the editor in chief of that time. Not bad for a 17 year-old. Then on March 3rd I have scheduled an interview with the current boss of all bosses at La Voz del Interior (the newspaper, in case you don’t remember from my last post). I’m really excited for that one. Anyway, I’m really starting to dig all this investigative journalism type research that I’m doing. Not only is it really fun, but it just feels so special. I guess it might not seem like a big deal, but I get to read what people read 50 years ago. It’s really incredible to think about how they reacted to this and what it meant for them and how it impacted their lives. Crazy.

And with that, I’m off to bed.


Agustín

Here is a picture of a front page article (a very important one) from 1974, written by Mr. Temporini himself


This isn't even one third of my grandfather's collection!!


Dr. Zellmer, I daresay it was delicious and nutritious

2 comments:

Mark Zellmer said...

Augustín, you might consider voice recognition software when you get back. I have an old version of "Dragon Naturally Speaking," but it really is not that expensive and it might serve. In the meantime, I think digital recording is a good idea. Backup! Backup! Your grandfather's newspaper collection is formidable. Do you have an idea of what you're looking for, yet, and in what parts of the newspaper? La parrilla did indeed look nutritious and delicious. Acquired a taste for yerba mate yet?

Agustin Temporini said...

Dr. Zellmer, like we discussed before I left, I will be looking for any articles related to the state of the Argentine economy before the dictatorship until the fall of the dictatorship. I will also be looking for articles about the specific events that I will be looking at (the coup in 76, the world cup of 78, the Beagle Canal affair with Chile in 78, the war over Las Islas Malvinas in 82, and the subsequent fall of the dictatorship in 83). In addition, I'd like to compare news articles from the 60's to articles from the 70's to see what kinds of differences there are in content and things like that. It would also be cool to see if I can discern to what extent these differences are attributable to the military government. What do you mean by what parts of the newspaper? Unfortunately, I don't think I will ever like yerba mate.