What is a Senior Research Project?

At BASIS Tucson, seniors have the chance to propose an independent research project that takes place off campus during the last trimester of the year. The seniors whose proposals are accepted write their own syllabi and then head off into the world, to a site where they conduct their research while interning with a professional in the field. Those of us stuck on campus follow their adventures on this blog. Now that the projects are over, we are all excited to attend their presentations. The schedule is as follows:

Wednesday, May 11, 6-8 PM
at the U of A Poetry Center (environmentalism projects)
Sierra Cordova, Nicole Rapatan, Zobella Vinik and Dany Joumaa (see titles of projects, below)

Saturday, May 14, 10-12 AM
at The Loft Cinema (arts projects)
Clarice Bales, Samone Isom, Josh Waterman and Angelynn Khoo (see titles of projects, below)

Monday, May 16, 6-8 PM
at BioSciences West, Rm. 310, U of A ( U of A projects)
Joseph Tang, Jayanth Ganesan, Andrew Graham and Gabriel Carranza (see titles of projects, below)

Tuesday, May 17, 6-8 PM
at U of A McGuire Center for Entrepreneurship, Blg. MCLND, rm. 207 (travel abroad projects)
Clover Powell, Greg Spell, Agustin Temporini and Margarita Sadova.

We'd love to see you there!



The BASIS Tucson Class of 2011 Senior Research Project bloggers (with the titles of their projects) are:



Clarice Bales: "Narrative and Film"



Sierra Cordova: "The Intent and Application of Environmental Policy"



Clover Powell: "The Artistic Interpretation of the Biological Sciences"



Greg Spell: "Micro-venturing in Guatemala"



Agustin Temporini: "A Study of the Role of the Press in 1960's/70's Argentina"



Gabriel Carranza: "Analysis and Research on Drugs associated with Torsades de Pointes"



Dany Joumaa: "Innovations in Display Technology: Synthesis of Organic Luminescent Materials Compounds"



Joseph Tang: "The Creation and Project of 3D Holograms"



Jayanth Ganesan: "Research of Game Thoeretic Models in relation to Non-Market Games"



Andrew Graham: "The Malaria-Resistant Mosquito"



Samone Isom: "Art and Artist: in peril of Devaluation?"



Angelynn Khoo: "Mousa, Mouseion, Museum: MOCA Tucson"



Nicole Rapatan: "Sustainable Architecture and Design in Modern Times"



Margarita Sadova: "Pulmonology at St. Joseph's Hospital"



Josh Waterman: "The Fiery Crossroads of Artistic Value and Financial Success in the Independent Film Industry"



Zobella Vinik: "Environmental Psychology with the Drachman Institute"







Enjoy the Blog!



















Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Whew! Back from Berlin!

Wow. That's all I have to say about that. Berlin was really just something else entirely. Firstly, the weather was absolutely fantastic. The sun was out everyday, and it really warmed you up. The air was fresh and whetted your appetite, so I ate a ton in Berlin. Had my first burger since I came here in a place called Burgermeister. So good. Funnily enough, when I got there, at first I felt sort of like I hadn't left Paris. It is very much like Paris in a way, and then again, very different. Berlin is approximately eight times bigger than Paris with the same amount of people, so there is so much more space! It felt so much more relaxed, and the people enjoy sitting outside at cafes and retaurants. I felt that vibe much more in Berlin than in Paris, where it feels very tight and stressed. Paris is just a faster paced life. The buildings are much newer in berlin, but there are still remains of the old, war torn apartment buildings there, with the bullet impacts ever so evident. As I was walking through, I almost lost my touch with time, because there is a lot that remains of the time before WW2, but much more of it is new. And there is grafitti everywhere. Really just a very beautiful, enchanting city. I'll post the pictures I took up as soon as possible!

So, back to the lab, and back to work! To give you an update, we had tested out our bacteria in a machine that measured fluorescence, and we got negative results. We actually got results that pointed towards green fluorescence, exactly the opposite of what I wanted. That would have overturned all our previous results and that was not my idea of a good time. So, I didn't worry too much about it in Berlin (what with the amazing breakfasts they have over there, I was more than occupied, haha), but when I got back, I impatiently waited to speak with Anne about the results. She, so kindly, transformed the plasmid into a variety of different bacteria so that we could observe the growth of the bacteria and its relationship to the plasmid. We may change the promotor region, which is the region that signals the production of the product that the genome is geared towards. I sense we are entering the finshing stages of the project, but I may be mistaken! It will be exciting to see where this goes and what results we get. We have a meeting at 2:30 today, and so I will get many ideas and feedback!
In terms of the comic, I will definitely finish the writing portion of the process today, and do some grammer check, because I hate mistakes in my writing. Once that's done, its to the storyboard. Eh... kinda nervous for this part, because its what the comic is going to look like, so I am definitely going to work my hardest to make it look good and professional.
Ah.... It is nice to be back in Paris. Plus, the sun is shining and the air is warm. This week is going to be nice, I can tell.
Oh, and by the way, thought I'd mention I'll be going to Marseilles, a city in the South of France, Friday night and returning Sunday night. Haha, this week is definitely going in the right direction.
Peace out,
Clover

1 comment:

Axk said...

Homg. So excited for you :>