What is a Senior Research Project?

At BASIS Tucson, seniors have the chance to propose an independent research project that takes place off campus during the last trimester of the year. The seniors whose proposals are accepted write their own syllabi and then head off into the world, to a site where they conduct their research while interning with a professional in the field. Those of us stuck on campus follow their adventures on this blog. Now that the projects are over, we are all excited to attend their presentations. The schedule is as follows:

Wednesday, May 11, 6-8 PM
at the U of A Poetry Center (environmentalism projects)
Sierra Cordova, Nicole Rapatan, Zobella Vinik and Dany Joumaa (see titles of projects, below)

Saturday, May 14, 10-12 AM
at The Loft Cinema (arts projects)
Clarice Bales, Samone Isom, Josh Waterman and Angelynn Khoo (see titles of projects, below)

Monday, May 16, 6-8 PM
at BioSciences West, Rm. 310, U of A ( U of A projects)
Joseph Tang, Jayanth Ganesan, Andrew Graham and Gabriel Carranza (see titles of projects, below)

Tuesday, May 17, 6-8 PM
at U of A McGuire Center for Entrepreneurship, Blg. MCLND, rm. 207 (travel abroad projects)
Clover Powell, Greg Spell, Agustin Temporini and Margarita Sadova.

We'd love to see you there!



The BASIS Tucson Class of 2011 Senior Research Project bloggers (with the titles of their projects) are:



Clarice Bales: "Narrative and Film"



Sierra Cordova: "The Intent and Application of Environmental Policy"



Clover Powell: "The Artistic Interpretation of the Biological Sciences"



Greg Spell: "Micro-venturing in Guatemala"



Agustin Temporini: "A Study of the Role of the Press in 1960's/70's Argentina"



Gabriel Carranza: "Analysis and Research on Drugs associated with Torsades de Pointes"



Dany Joumaa: "Innovations in Display Technology: Synthesis of Organic Luminescent Materials Compounds"



Joseph Tang: "The Creation and Project of 3D Holograms"



Jayanth Ganesan: "Research of Game Thoeretic Models in relation to Non-Market Games"



Andrew Graham: "The Malaria-Resistant Mosquito"



Samone Isom: "Art and Artist: in peril of Devaluation?"



Angelynn Khoo: "Mousa, Mouseion, Museum: MOCA Tucson"



Nicole Rapatan: "Sustainable Architecture and Design in Modern Times"



Margarita Sadova: "Pulmonology at St. Joseph's Hospital"



Josh Waterman: "The Fiery Crossroads of Artistic Value and Financial Success in the Independent Film Industry"



Zobella Vinik: "Environmental Psychology with the Drachman Institute"







Enjoy the Blog!



















Sunday, March 27, 2011

Reflections of a Week Past--Clarice's SRP

Sorry for the bland title, but I'm still tired from last night and last week for that matter. Yesterday I accompanied Jacob to another wedding. However, my third wedding was remarkably different from my other two weddings. Over the course of two weeks, Jacob has acquired more and more video equipment. On my first wedding, I only had the Panasonic gh2, two lenses, a tri-pod, and no backup battery. Now, though, we have two video cameras, two tri-pods (with heads for the cameras), backup batteries, several lenses, two steadicams, a track dolly, video light, and a microphone for one camera. Of course, now that we have all this equipment, we need more people to help out. So, a friend of Jacob's who is interested in making his own documentary film on rock climbing went with us. Because Joe was with us, I was more relaxed than the last wedding that I was one, and I could focus more on getting artistic shots. From what I watched yesterday of the footage I took, I was pretty satisfied with what I did. I'm hoping that once I've finished editing this short film it will be the best out of my three weddings. Ah, that also reminds me! I have not yet finished editing last weddings video. Last week, which was spring break for most people was far from a break for me. More than half of last week I spent time with Eren and Ari. As you all know--or might know--they had their premiere for Precious Knowledge on Thursday evening and some more shoots for the Discovery Channel. I really only worked with Jacob for three days--if that. The bad thing about that was I couldn't finish editing the video for the last wedding we had (and now I have another video to make at the same time), but the good thing was, of course, spending time on my other internship. The shoot with Sheriff Joe went well, even though downtown Phoenix scares me. We accidentally went to the jail instead of the Wells Fargo building where is office is and all of the guards were just..... well... creepy to put it lightly. Once we got to the Wells Fargo building, Eren, Ari and I had to go up to the 19th floor with all of our equipment. Sheriff Joe.... was quite a character. The interview went for only about a half an hour, which Eren conducted. Ari and I just stood back and made sure everything was recording properly. Some of his remarks to the questions disturbed me; an example was just that he said he liked it when people called him Hitler. He also stated that he wasn't a 'media hound,' which isn't true at all. Eren and Ari are hoping to film Sheriff Joe at the tent city for the Discovery Channel as well. I don't know if there has been a date scheduled for that or not, but I will post about it once I here. To make things short, since this post is getting quite long, the premiere of Precious Knowledge was fantastic!!! I had a great time, to say the least, and the Fox Theater was over capacity. Even though there was the U of A basketball game that night, there was a very long line of people outside the theater; even after security closed the doors. We went and celebrated after the screening, and hopefully now both of them can rest a bit. Next week I should be post some of my wedding videos and maybe even another short film! Until then, adios! --Clarice

No comments: